At Canal Vista Family Dental in Princeton, NJ, Dr. Bestandji and our dedicated team understand the challenges parents face when it comes to instilling good dental habits in young children.
Developing good oral hygiene habits at a young age is a priceless investment in your child’s overall well-being and future smile. By following these expert tips and scheduling regular children’s checkups with Dr. Bestandji at Canal Vista Family Dental, you are ensuring your child’s dental health journey starts out on the right path.
Remember: patience, creativity and positive reinforcement go a long way in getting kids excited about brushing their teeth. Together, let’s pave the way for radiant smiles and a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
Early Childhood Dental Care Prevents Later Problems
Preventative dental care plays a vital role in avoiding the risk of dental problems in adulthood. By establishing good oral hygiene habits from a young age, children can enjoy a strong foundation for lifelong dental health. Regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups help prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and other oral issues. Especially when we apply fluoride and sealants while their teeth are still healthy!
Additionally, early intervention can prevent major orthodontic concerns, ensuring proper alignment of the teeth and jaws while your child’s mouth is still growing.
When your child grows up with a healthy smile from the start, they’re less likely to experience dental anxiety, dental emergencies, and enjoy a boost in their self-esteem.
Your Child Needs to Brush Their Teeth Twice a Day
Practicing proper oral hygiene – including regular brushing and flossing – helps prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and other oral health issues before they start. By promoting a healthy mouth, you are also safeguarding your child’s overall well-being. Research has shown a link between oral health and various systemic conditions, such as heart disease and diabetes.
Help your child establish a toothbrushing routine twice a day for two minutes each. Ideally after breakfast and before bedtime. By incorporating oral care into their daily routine, you are setting the foundation for other healthy habits later in life. This early exposure to good oral hygiene practices helps them develop a positive attitude toward self-care and responsibility.
Feel free to help your child brush until they’re able to tie their own shoes. Using a song or timer can help keep them on track instead of rushing through their brushing routine too quickly.
Start early with routine dental check-ups and positive experiences at the dentist’s office to help prevent anxiety. Dr. Bestandji and our caring dental team will help reiterate great oral habits by teaching your child age-appropriate brushing techniques as their smile develops.
Tips to Get Kids Excited About Brushing Teeth
- Start Early: Introduce toothbrushing as soon as your child’s first tooth erupts. Use a soft, age-appropriate toothbrush and a smear of fluoride toothpaste. This early introduction familiarizes your child with the sensation and importance of brushing.
- Lead by Example: Children love to imitate their parents, so make toothbrushing a family activity. Brush your teeth alongside your child to demonstrate proper technique and create a positive bonding experience. Try to see who can brush the longest, which helps everyone brush for the recommended two minutes.
- Make It Fun with Creative Accessories: Transform toothbrushing into an enjoyable adventure by providing your child with a colorful and age-appropriate toothbrush. Consider letting them choose a brush with their favorite character or a fun design. Additionally, use a timer or a toothbrushing app with interactive features to make the process more engaging. Some toothbrushes even have smart phone aps that allow your child to track their oral hygiene habits and get personalized brushing tips.
- Engage Their Senses: Appeal to your child’s senses by incorporating toothpaste with appealing flavors, such as strawberry or watermelon. This sensory stimulation can make brushing more enjoyable and encourage your child to look forward to their brushing routine. Do tastes bother them? No fear. Brushing with tap water isn’t preferred, but it is better than nothing!
- Sing Songs and Tell Stories: Make toothbrushing time interactive and entertaining by singing songs, telling stories, or reading books related to dental care. This not only adds an element of fun but also helps distract your child while they brush their teeth for the recommended two minutes. It also normalizes tootbrushing for hesitant kiddos.
- Offer Rewards and Incentives: Create a reward system to motivate your child. Use stickers, charts, or a toothbrushing calendar to track their progress. Celebrating their efforts reinforces positive behavior.
- Educate and Empower: Teach your child about the importance of brushing teeth to maintain a healthy smile. Explain how brushing removes harmful bacteria and prevents cavities. As they grow older, involve them in choosing their oral care products and encourage them to take responsibility for their dental health.
- Play “Dentist” at Home: Use a toothbrush and mirror to “brush” the “teeth” on their favorite toy or stuffed animal. You can brush each other’s teeth, too!
Pediatric Dentistry at Canal Vista Family Dental
At Canal Vista Family Dental, we take pride in offering exceptional pediatric dentistry services to ensure the optimal oral health for the entire family. Led by Dr. Bestandji, our skilled and compassionate team is dedicated to creating a comfortable and welcoming environment for young patients.
Our pediatric dentistry services are tailored to meet the unique needs of young patients, from toddlers to adolescents. We understand that each child is different, and our approach focuses on personalized care and building trust with our young patients.
With a gentle and friendly approach, we strive to make every dental visit a positive and enjoyable experience. Our team utilizes child-friendly techniques and tools to provide preventive care, including regular check-ups, cleanings, fluoride treatments, and dental sealants. We also offer early orthodontic evaluations to address any concerns regarding the alignment and development of your child’s teeth and jaws. These early visits also allow us to teach children proper brushing and flossing techniques and the importance of maintaining good oral hygiene habits at home.
When it comes to pediatric dentistry close to home, trust the compassionate and skilled team at Canal Vista Family Dental to provide exceptional care for your child’s dental needs.
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Bestandji
Schedule a dental checkup for your child—or yourself—with Dr. Bestandji today!